Usili Upma Rice is one of the traditional breakfast or dinner recipe prepared in our house by my Grand mother. This is a easy and nutritious rice recipe prepared with no onion and garlic , which is perfect for this festival season. This Usili Upma Rice can even be offered to Goddess Lakshmi as a Naivedyam .
Usili Upma Rice is also called as Dal Upma or Alli Usili in kannada. This Recipe can be very quickly prepared as it contain any vegetables. So do try this easy and healthy recipe at your home. Share your feed back on comments section with out fail.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Total time – 30 minutes
Serves – 3 to 4 persons
- 1 cup rice ( sona masoori )
- 1/2 cup split yellow gram ( hesarubele )
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown chick peas ( desi Channa )
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh coconut
- 8 byadagi red chilly
- 2 to 4 guntur red chilly
- 2 tbsp jaggery powder
- 2 to 3 tsp tamarind paste
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Bengal gram
- 1 tsp black gram
- Few curry leaves
- A pinch of asafetida
- Fresh coconut for garnish
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Cucumber pieces
- Gun powder or chutney powder
Clean the rice and dal separately by placing in between the cloth.
Heat the kadai and dry roast the rice on low flame until you notice slight colour change on the rice that is approximately for 2 to 3 minutes.
Then put the split yellow gram on the rice and roast for half a minute are so till it becomes hot.
Crush the coconut and red chilly to coarse paste with out water and keep aside.
Heat the oil in pressure cooker and add in mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
Add in Bengal gram and black gram and sauté till golden brown.
Then put in rice , dal , curry leaves , crushed paste and sauté for a minute.
Pour 3 cups of hot water on the rice , then add salt , jaggery and tamarind paste and a nice mix .
When the water starts to boil, close the lid of the cooker and cook till 2 to 3 whistles.
Allow the pressure to naturally release .
Open the cooker and gently give a mix once, finally garnish with coconut and coriander leaves .
Tasty and Healthy Usli Upma Rice is now ready to serve with cucumber pieces , gun powder and pickles.
- Roast the rice and dal on low flame because over roasting may spoil the taste of the dish.
- Ratio of rice +split yellow gram : water is 1 : 2 .
- While pressure cooking allow one whistle less than usual rice cooking , then only we get crumbled texture.
- Once the pressure is released , do not mix the upma immediately otherwise upma becomes mushy.
- You can use pepper to temper if you like.
- If you use basmathi rice , use half cup less water to get the fluffy rice.
- 1 cup equals 250 ml.
Check out this quick and amazing recipe using left over dal vada – Dal Vada Masala Rice.