Surthi Aloo puri is a popular street food of Surat which is available at every nook and corner of the Surat. Surthi Aloo Puri recipe consists of potato , safad or white peas based ragda served on a puri with green chutney , sweet tamarind chutney , sliced onion and Alu bujia. Today I will be preparing homemade Aloo Puri which is very famous across the Surath. We can have that spicy tangy full flavoring street food in clean and hygienic way by preparing it in our homes.
I have tried to prepare this surthi Aloo Puri in healthier way by making some simple changes in the recipe. I have prepared the puri in this chaat using rawa or sooji instead of maida , traditionally used in surath to prepare the puri. Try this different and yummy street food of Surath known as Surthi Aloo Puri in your home. If you people like this recipe , share the recipe with others and share your precious comments with me. Visit my food blog on every Saturdays for such kind of unique recipes .
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Assembling time – 10 minutes
Total time – 40 minutes
Makes – 8 to 10 servings
- 3/4 cup chiroti rawa ( small sooji )
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup safad matar ( white peas ) boiled till soft after soaked for 8 to 10 hours
- 1 1/2 medium size potato boiled and cut to dices
- 2 green chilly
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander and cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing
- Oil 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Green chutney
- 1 cup coriander leaves washed in water
- 1 /4 cup pudina leaves washed
- 3 to 4 green chilly
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup curds
- Sweet tamarind chutney or kokum chutney
- Sliced chopped onion
- Alu bujiya
- Chaat masala powder
- Cumin powder
- Chopped coriander leaves
Knead firm dough of rawa , salt , ghee and water.
Let it rest for 15 minutes covered with damp cloth on the dough.
Divide the dough into four equal small portions.
Then roll each one small portion of dough into a big roti.
Prick the entire roti using a fork here and there.
With the heip of a small lif or a bowl cut puris from roti.
Then deep fry the puris in hot oil till puris turn to light golden brown.
Then coarse crush the ginger , garlic and green chilly in a mixer for the ragda.
Heat oil and crushed paste and stir fry the paste for a while.
Now add boiled and diced potato and boiled matar and mix once nicely.
Then add turmeric powder , red chilly powder , coriander and cumin powder ,salt and garam masala powder
Mix once nicely and add little water if necessary to the ragda as it becomes very thick after some time , so add water and ragda should be in semi thick consistency now.
Let the ragda come to boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
Allow the ragda to cool down and now ragda for Aloo Puri is ready .
Crush coriander leaves , mint leaves , green chilly , garlic,salt , peanuts and curds to fine paste to prepare the green chutney for Aloo Puri.
Place the puris on serving plate and serve ragda on each puri.
Then add green chutney , sweet tamarind chutney , sliced onion, chaat masala powder , cumin powder, alu bujiya and coriander leaves.
Serve the tasty and yummy surath street food Surathi Aloo Puri .
- You may use maida poori instead of rawa poori.
- If the small sooji is not available , then take big rawa and crush the sooji slightly in mixer and then use it to prepare the poori.
- You may use green portion of spring onions as a topping along with onion.
- You may replace white peas with regular green dry peas.
- You may store this rawa poori for two weeks in a air tight box.
- Ypu may store this ragda in fridge for two to three days if nicely cooked.
Health meter :-
Rawa (sooji )
Rawa is a power grain packed with various health benefits made with chapathi wheat and contains gluten.
- Prevents heart attack.
- Prevents anemia.
- Keeps nervous system healthy.
- Prevents high cholesterol levels in the body.
- Glycemic level is very low so very good for diabetic patients.
- Easily digestible as it is rich in fiber.
- Prevents over eating.
- Good for weight loss.