Spicy Tomato Besan Cake is one of the tasty, traditional and delicious cakes prepared in Gujarat. It is very easy to prepare and is a very healthy recipe since it is filled with protein rich besan. It is spiced with traditional Indian spices that is steamed and roasted in a tawa in a traditional way.This cake is eggless and is a fat free snack that can be served anytime. It can be prepared within very less time. It is made up of very simple ingredients that are always available in the house.Do try this recipe at home. If you are health conscious and a foodie then you will just love this tasty, yummy and healthy snack.
Preparation time — 10 minutes
Cooking time — 15 to 20 minutes
Roasting time — 10 minutes
Total time — 30 to 35 minutes
Makes — 16 to 18 pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¾ tsp finely chopped ginger
- ¾ tsp finely chopped green chillies
- ¾ tsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 ½ to 1 ¾ cups of water
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 cup besan
- 4 tsp finely chopped deseeded tomato
- ¼ to ½ tsp amchur powder
- ½ cup upma rava for coating
- Oil for roasting
- Sweet chutney or meetha for serving
- Heat oil in a non- stick pan on slow fire. Add finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies and roast it lightly for a minute. Then add tomato paste and stir nicely for a minute.
- Add water, salt, red chilli powder and garam masala to it when it starts to boil. Put the besan gradually and go on stirring it for 3 to 4 minutes or till the besan is nicely cooked. When it becomes thick lightly add chopped tomato and stir nicely. When it becomes like a lump, switch off the stove.
- Grease a square or rectangular shaped tray with oil nicely. Put this paste into the tray and press the paste nicely using a spatula. Press it evenly and allow it to cool down by keeping it in the fridge for ½ an hour.
- Then cut it into square shaped pieces or into any desired shape. Heat a non- stick tawa or pan with 3 to 4 tbsp oil on slow fire.
- Coat the cake pieces with rawa nicely. Then roast on hot tawa till crisp on both sides by turning. Serve hot with meetha.
- We can prepare this snack one day before. After preparing store it in fridge and roast it only while serving.
- You can serve this snack with any sweet fruit chutney also.
- For another variation you can also use palak paste or red bell peppers paste in the place of tomato paste.
- It stays tasty even when it becomes cool. So it can even be sent to school as a lunch box snack for children.
Health meter :-
- It is rich in nutritious elements like fibre, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin B6.
- It is very effective for weight loss.
- It is a boon for pregnant woman and her child due to presence of folate in besan.
- It reduces cholesterol level in the body.
- It improves your complexion and gives a glowing skin.
- It stabilizes the blood sugar level in the body.
- It regulates the blood pressure levels in the body.