Pav Bhaji is the most popular street food of India , origin from Mumbai juhu beach and is loved by all age group including children. My Pav Bhaji recipe is a healthier alternate to the regular Pav Bhaji filled with full of potato and butter. This Pav Bhaji is easily prepared filled with very healthy vegetables with out much work .This Pav Bhaji tastes very yummy even in the absence of onion and garlic. Its colour is enhanced beautifully and taste is not lost at all.
This Pav Bhaji recipe is specially created in keeping in mind the vegetables which kids do not like.Definately this Pav Bhaji is very healthy and yummy even for the aged people. Oldage People can consume this Pav Bhaji with out any guilt. I hope friends all of us will love this recipe. Share this recipe with others if you like this Pav Bhaji recipe.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Total time – 30 minutes
Serves – 4 to 5 people
- 3 cups bottle gourd or lauki or soorakaye fine chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sweet pumpkin fine chopped
- 1/4 cup dry green peas
- 3 green chilly fine chopped
- 2 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes grated or coarsely crushed
- 1 large capsicum coarsely crushed
- 1 1/2 cup tomato crushed to fine paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp red chilly paste
- 2 tsp pav bhaji masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 30 gms butter (15 + 15 }
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- Lemon piece for garnish
- Butter for garnish
- 8 to 10 pav
Soak dry peas in hot water 12 hours before cooking or soak the peas for over night.
Combine bottle gourd , pumpkin and green peas in a cooker.
Then add the minimum hot water to the vegetables as much necessary to submerge the vegetales.
Cook the vegetables on medium flame till 6 to 7 whistles.
Allow the cooker to cool down slightly.
When the cooker is warm, open the lid of the cooker and mash with masher nicely to coarse paste and keep aside.
Heat oil and butter in a heavy bottom vessel or non stick pan .
Then add in green chilly and ginger and sauté slightly.
Put in tomato grated and capsicum paste and roast for two to three minutes.,
Then add in tomato paste and sauté nicely till oil separates from the tomato.
Now combine turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder, salt , red chilly paste and one tsp of pav bhaji masala and give a nice mix.
Add in 2 to 3 tbsp of water and give a quick mix and roast on low flame for one to two minutes.
Then put in mashed vegetables and mix nicely , at this stage add the hot water and adjust the consistency of the bhaji as per your wish.
Close the lid and cook on low flame , add water to the bhaji gradually by checking otherwise the bhaji becomes runny.
Lastly add in lemon juice, left over butter and coriander leaves and give a nice mix and heat till one boil and switch off the stove.
Then add the remaining pav bhaji masala and give a nice mix.
Garnish The Mouth Watering Healthy Pav Bhaji with adash of butter , lemon piece and coriander leaves.
Present with hot Pav.
- Use minimum water for cooking vegetables to get nice mashy structure.
- Stain out the excess water from the vegetables before mashing.
- Use tender bottle gourd for the best results.
- You should take out the seeds and white portion of the bottle gourd if it not tender.
- You may increase the proportion of the pumpkin slightly if you want.
- Mash the vegetables when it is hot or warm.
- I have used 200ml cup for measuring.