Pav Bhaji Millets Porridge is very unique and one of the easy and healthy tempting porridge recipe , prepared using nutritious and fiber rich millets. This millets are very popular now which is packed with all nutrients necessary for the body. Therefore I had shared this recipe using millets with a twist so that all the people can consume this easily with awesome taste.
This Pav Bhaji Millets Porridge is perfect for this cold winters as dinner recipe. You may not even recognize the millets in this recipe. So even people who dislike the millets may consume the millets in a hidden way and fully reap the health benefits of millets. Pav Bhaji Millets Porridge is also diabetic friendly and even you can serve this to children also along with pav if you prepare this porridge slightly thick.
Try this unique and very different Pav Bhaji Millets Porridge recipe at your homes and please share your feed back in the comments section. Visit my food blog on Saturdays for this kind of healthy and delicious recipes.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Total time – 30 minutes
Serves – 2 to 3 persons
- 1 cup kodo millets
- 1/4 cup sweet potato boiled
- 1 tomato deseeded and fine chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh green peas
- 2 tbsp hyacinth beans (averekaye )
- 2 tbsp carrot fine chopped
- 2 tbsp capsicum fine chopped
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato blanched and crushed to fine paste.
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp spring onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilly fine chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp ghee
Dry roast the millets on low flame till it becomes slightly hot, allow to cool down.
Wash the millets nicely three to four times and soak in four to five cups of water for 6 hours or overnight.
After 6 hours strain the water from the millets and heat that strained water till one boil.
Then transfer the water to the cooker and put in strained millets , peas, hyacinth beans, turmeric powder and ghee and give a nice mix once.
Then cook the millets for three to four whistles and allow the cooker to cool down completely.
In the mean time , heat the oil in a non stick pan with the oil.
Add in gin garlic paste and give a mix once and immediately put in green chilly chopped and onion and sauté till transparent.
Put chopped capsicum and carrot and stir fry for a minute or so.
Add the tomato chopped and sauté until soft, then put the tomato puree and give nice mix.
At this stage add boiled sweet potato and all dry masalas except pav baji masala and roast adding one to two tbsp of water.
Sauté the masalas nicely and mash the bhaji nicely using the masher.
Transfer the cooked millets to the pan and mix nicely.
Put in pav bhaji masala powder and stir in properly.
Add the hot water as per your wish to the boiling millets and heat nicely till 2 to 3 boils adding sufficient salt.
Switch off the flame and lastly drizzle the lemon juice and give a nice mix.
Garnish the hot and nutritious Pav Bhaji Millets Porridge with spring onions and coriander leaves and serve.
- One cup equals 100ml.
- Can replace sweet potato with potato.
- You can cook the millets directly on stove top , in that case use more water for cooking millets.
- May use any of the one among five positive millets.
- For more details about the millets , check my Spinach Millets Porridge recipe in the blog.