Jowar Energy Summer Drink is a nutritious and yummy salty Energy Drink or Buttermilk recipe . This Energy drink is made up of Sorghum millet flour and buttermilk . you can make this recipe and drink in summer as energy drink because it is very good for health and beats the heat in summer.
Jowar is one such millet known as Sorghum in English ,which is a healthy alternative to the all purpose flour and gluten free , this is diabetic friendly. Sorghum has rich quantity of potassium and phosphorous. Most importantly , this grains are rich in fibre and hence should be part of your daily diet. This recipe also contains carrots , are a particularly good source of beta-carotene , fiber , vitamin K , potassium and antioxidants. Do try this yummy and healthy drink recipe at your homes and reap the health benefits fully during this summer.
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Total time – 20 minutes
Serves – 3 to 4 people
- 3 to 4 tsp jowar flour ( Sorghum Flour )
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp garlic very finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp green chilly very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup onion fine chopped
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tsp fresh coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 cups of curds
Muddle garlic , green chilly , cumin seeds and coriander seeds through a stone coarsely and keep aside.
Dry roast the jowar flour on low flame till you get a nice aroma , allow to cool down completely.
Mix in jowar flour and a cup of water very well using a whisker nicely with out lumps and keep aside.
Heat 2 to 3 cups of water in a thick bottom vessel and transfer coarse masala paste and allow to boil the water nicely.
At this stage add in jowar flour slurry prepared to the boiling water by simultaneously stirring .
Constantly mix the liquid on medium flame using a whisker.
Cook the liquid nicely until the paste becomes semi thick in consistency.
Do not over cook , heat the liquid until the raw smell goes.
It becomes very thick if gets cool down , so avoid over cooking.
Lastly add in grated carrot and salt as per taste and boil just once and switch off the stove .
Beat the curds nicely through a beater and pour the beaten curds to jowar liquid and mix nicely through a whisker with out any lumps.
Lastly add in sufficient roasted cumin powder as per your taste and mix nicely.
Pour the jowar drink to the serving glass , garnish with grated carrot , fine chopped onion and coriander leaves.
Serve healthy and nutritious Jowar Energy Summer Drink as it or chilled.
- You can replace pearl millet flour or bajra flour with sorghum flour.
- You may omit the carrot.
- can drizzle melted ghee to enhance the taste if served on room temperature.
- If you wish you can sprinkle any butter milk masala before serving.
- May consume this drink as a weight loss breakfast recipe by preparing the drink in thicker consistency.
- Use slightly sour curds for best results.
- Can drizzle little lemon juice if the curds is not sour.
- Use Himalayan pink salt to make it more healthier.
- I have used 200 ml cup for measuring.