Today`s recipe is Heralekai Masala Rice which is very delicious with spice , tang and hint of bitterness from Heralekai. Heralekai is known as Citron fruit or bitter orange in English. This Heralekai Masala Rice is one of the lunch box recipe. This Rice is very simple flavorful and tangy rice recipe which helps in digestion.
Citron fruit is an amazing fruit that are not only juicy , but they also hold innumerable advantages. Citron fruit has lots of medicinal value .This fruit is rich source of Vitamin C and so develops immunity in the body. Heralekai is very beneficial in heart diseases and blood pressure due to the presence of potassium. It aids digestion and removes the bitterness in the tongue , it work wonders for weight loss.
I hope friends you all will try this healthy and yummy Heralekai Masala Rice recipe and reap the medicinal value of the Citron fruit.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Total time – 30 minutes
Serves – 3 to 4 people
- 2 to 3 Heralekai or Citron fruit juice
- 1 1/4 cup sona masuri rice
- 1 big onion sliced
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves coarsely muddled
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 6 green chilly slit
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp masala peanuts
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp black gram ( urad dal )
- 1 /4 cup dry copra pieces
- Fresh grated coconut
- Masala peanuts
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
Firstly we prepare the masala powder , for that dry roast all the spices said one by one separately on low flame except dry copra pieces.
Then roast dry copra pieces on low flame till light golden brown and allow to cool down all ingredients .
Then crush all the spices with copra to fine powder and keep aside.
Wash the rice nicely 2 to 3 times and keep aside.
Heat the oil in the cooker and add in cumin seeds and bay leaf and allow the cumin to roast.
Put in garlic and green chilly slit and roast slightly.
Add in onion and sauté till light pink.
Now add rice soaked and roast for a minute , then add in coconut grated and salt and give a nice mix once.
Pour 2 1/2 cups of water on the rice and heat till water starts to boil nicely.
Then close the lid of the cooker and pressure cook for two to three whistles.
In the mean time squeeze out juice from Heralekai or citron fruit and keep aside.
When the cooker cools down completely then open the lid and add in 2 ½ to 3 tbsp of masala powder prepared and give a nice mix .
Lastly add 1/2 cup of citron juice , coriander leaves and masala peanuts and mix nicely.
Serve healthy and mouth watering Heralekai Masala Rice garnished with coconut , coriander leaves and masala peanuts.
- You may use fried peanuts instead of masala peanuts.
- You may replace jeera sambar rice with sona masuri rice.
- Squeeze the juice from citron fruit at the time of using only , as it may become bitter if you squeeze before.
- You may store the masala powder prepared in fridge for on month in a air tight container.
- You may increase or decrease the quantity of citron juice and masala powder as per your taste in the rice.