We are reminded of gravies and Savory dishes , when we think of vegetables . But have you tried to make a sweet dish with bottle gourd along with jaggery and coconut milk . Bottle gourd and dal payasam is a healthy version of a sweet dish or payasam . This is very authentic and traditional sweet dish recipe that can be prepared during festivals.
Since this is a vegan recipe , people with allergic to milk can consume without any tension . It can be considered as a weight loss recipe as it is filled with fiber rich bottle gourd and protein rich dal along with healthy fat. Bottle gourd contains Vitamin C , B , A , K , E , iron and magnesium . Thus bottle gourd has wonderful nutrients which can boost the health. Do try this healthy and traditional vegan recipe at your homes.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 10 minutes
Total time – 25 minutes
Makes – 4 servings
- 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 cups bottle gourd finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Bengal gram ( channa dal )
- 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tbsp rawa ( fine sooji )
- 3/4 to 1 cup jaggery powder
- 1 cardamom powder
- 1/2 tbsp cashewnuts
Wash the bottle gourd nicely and take out the peel and chop it very fine pieces.
Combine bottle gourd pieces and soaked channa dal in cooker along with one cup of water until 2 to 3 whistles.
Allow the cooker to cool down slightly and mash them slightly using a masher and keep aside.
In a hot pan add 1/4 tbsp of ghee and fry the cashew nut pieces and take out once they change in colour.
In the same pan add the left over ghee and roast rawa , they turn crispy.
Now keep this roasted rawa also aside.
Then in the mixer jar add the grated fresh coconut and add the water gradually and grind to fine paste.
Strain it from a muslin cloth to get coconut milk , add also some water nearly half cup if required.
In a vessel or kadai heat half cup of water and allow to boil.
Then put in rawa and give a nice mix once .
Next add cooked bottle gourd along with channadal.
Also add coconut milk and jaggery powder and mix well , allow to boil nicely.
Lastly add cardamom powder and fried nuts and give a good mix.
At this stage if you feel payasam is thick add little hot water and give a nice mix once.
Serve healthy and tasty Bottle Gourd and dal Payasam garnished with fried nuts.
- You can use readily available coconut milk instead of home made coconut milk.
- You may replace the jaggery with rock sugar powder or marble sugar.
- Soak channa dal atleast for 30 minutes before using it.
- Mash the bottle gourd and dal slightly with masher or with electric hand blender.
- Add minimum water or as much water to soak the dal and bottle gourd to the cooker while cooking.
- 1 cup equals 250 ml.
- Use tender bottle gourd to prepare this dish.
Check out another recipe using bottle gourd or lauki – Lauki Chanadal Khichdi (spicy and sweet khichdi) .