Amaranth leaves yellow Dal(South India Style) is a popular side dish that is served with rice or chapathi commonly in South Indian Thali or South Indian meals in all parts of South India. This Amaranth Leaves yellow Dal (South India Style)can be easily prepared by any body easily with very lesser time than other dals. This Amaranth Leaves yellow Dal can be prepared using just Amaranth Leaves and healthy yellow dal or makni dal.
Amaranth Leaves is a rich source of Vitamin A , K and C that are essential for the overall health development .Amaranth Leaves are loaded with Proteins , amino acids and calcium. Since these greens are calcium rich it is very good for the growing children.
I have showed the preparation of this Amaranth Leaves yellow Dal in typical South India style here.
So here is quick recipe that will work wonder with you and your family.
Prepare this Amaranth Leaves Yellow Dal at home and enjoy the taste of South India meals.
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Total Time – 30 minutes
Serves – 6 people
- 150 gms Amaranth leaves (nearly one medium sizebunch)
- 100 gms yellow dal ( split moong dal or yellow split gram )
- 4 to 5 chopped green chilly chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 2 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder ( 1/ 2 tsp + 1/ 2 tsp )
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1/ 2 to 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 to 1 1/ 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cups of water
Soak yellow gram in water for 1/2 to 1 hour after washing the dal nicely.
Wash the Amaranth Leaves in clean water properly and remove all the mud particles washing 3 to 4 times.
Drain out all water from using a strainer and chop the Amaranth leaves finely and keep aside.
Cook soaked yellow gram and chopped Amaranth leaves together adding 2 cups ofhot water and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder in cooler till 2 to 3 whistles.
Allow the cooker to cool down nicely.
In the mean time crush onion , green chilly, gar;ic and ginger to coarsely just by giving a whip once in a mixer and keep aside.
Crush chopped tomato and coconut to fine paste and keep ready.
Heat the oil in wide pan and allow the cumin to splutter.
Add the onion coarsely crushed in the oil till light brown.
Then put in tomato and coconut paste and sauté nicely for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the salt, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and sauté nicely for a minute or so.
Pour cooked dal on this roasted onion and tomato and give a nice stir and cook the dal nicely till 2 to 3 boils.
In this stage add little water to the dal by checking the consistency if necessary.
Heat the dal adding jaggery to it closing the lid nicely till 1 or 2 boils.
Switch off the stove and add lemon juice to the dal and give anice mix before serving.
Serve the tasty and healthy Amaranth Leaves Yellow dal with rice , roti or chapathi.
- You may prepare no onion no garlic dal by omitting onion and garlic from this recipe.
- You may add tamrind paste instead of lemon juice but you have boil again after adding tamrind paste.
- You may replace split yellow dal with toor dal.
Health Meter :-
- Helps in controlling hyper tension.
- Helps in lowering cholesterol levels in the body.
- Helps in fighting diabetes.
- Helps in improving digestive system.
- Helps in preventing Anemia.
- Helps in preventing hair loss.
- Provides relief from oral problems.
- Helps in fighting skin problems.